Hayden's Mongoose bat debut

Hayden wielding the Mongoose


The Mongoose bat fever is clearly catching on in the Chennai Super Kings squad. Senior pro Matthew Hayden was first off the blocks endorsing the long handled monster.

Hayden has been dropping huge hints about using the Mongoose bat right from the first game of DLF-IPL2010. And he finally did so, and with great effect, in the game against Delhi Daredevils at the Kotla.

“It is a strike weapon, but you have to strategically use it as well. I think more than anything it’s a matter of picking to the time when you are going to use it,” Hayden had told to media about the new-styled bat.

Clearly his choice of bat is rubbing off on the rest of the squad as well. The new skipper of the squad, Suresh Raina picked up the Mongoose bat from Hayden and tried his hand at the same during the nets on Thursday.

On a day when he took charge as the Chennai Super Kings skipper, Raina clearly enjoyed the experience. ``It was a different experience. Haydos had told me a lot about it. It is different. Maybe when we are playing maybe I may use it. Maybe not right from the start but when I am in the middle of a knock,'' said Raina when asked about the new bat.

Watching Raina and Hayden very closely was all-rounder Albie Morkel. But the South Africa-born all-rounder was clear on his idea about the bat.

``I haven’t tried it. I don’t think I will use it,'' Morkel told media that Hayden has been using the Mongoose bat quite regularly during the training session. Hayden has thus far offered only Raina a hit with the Mongoose bat. ``I have seen him using it in the nets. He is hitting the ball pretty well with it. But he has not offered it to me so far,'' added Morkel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment